Wednesday 12 December 2007

Everything is Miscellaneous - By David Weinberger.

Read. This. Book.

That would be my advice to anyone interested in trying to grasp an understanding of how and why the information professional profile is changing. I was all set to do a review of the book, when Mark pointed out that there was an excellent one available at ALA Techsource...

But I can't resist mentioning a couple of points - he talks about the limitations of atoms, and how something like Wikipedia will always benefit over more traditional resources such as the paper based Brittanica because of there are no limitations on the number of articles and links that are embedded within. Whilst I agree that quality of information is crucial (and an area that perhaps Mr Weingberger doesn't cover in enough detail) I think the atom one is a beautiful analogy.

No comments: